Today’s post is a bit more personal! I wanted to share my personal goals that I have set for 2018 so you can get to know a little bit more about me. I used to be a goal-setter-turned-failure. I used to make all kinds of goals that didn’t have any real sustenance. I would write them down because I knew “to write them down” was an important step in making them happen. However, ultimately those goals, although written down, would get pushed aside and never really tended to and then forgotten.
P.S. Image above and Pinterest Image below is credited to Smith House Photography!
However, several years ago I started picking out a word to guide me through the year. I have seen progress in seeing those goals come to life and grow into “I’m doing this, it’s happening!” Some of my words in the past have been “grow” (in 2014.) That year we became pregnant with our daughter. I didn’t even know I was ready to be a mom at the beginning of the year when I chose it. “Surrender” was my word in 2015, and our birth story was far from what we prayed. I literally had to surrender to the Lord that His plan was perfect even when it didn’t seem that way to me. “Serve” was 2016’s, and “celebrate” was this year’s for 2017.
In 2016 I also began selecting a scripture that would align my word with God’s Word.
This year I wanted to dig a bit deeper before I jumped head first into the new year. I prayed and waited, and also realized that the word I thought the Lord was whispering wasn’t quite right. He had a better one in mind. I have also really searched the Bible for several scriptures that I can apply to my goals.
My word for 2018 is Delight.
The things that matter most to me are growing in my relationship with Jesus, Kason and our marriage, Kerrington Snow, and being a Light for Jesus. So I’m beginning to ask myself how can I delight in these areas?
Defining heart-goals takes hard work and time. Which is why a lot of goals are made, but then forgotten because it takes effort and persistance. At the end of 2016 I bought Powersheets to uncover my heart goals for 2017. My goals were not forgotten because I kept them out in the open beside my bed! Little by little progress was made because I tended to them.
Within Powersheets before you ever get to what your goals are there are several pages of prep work that help you define and get to know yourself and your heart. What isn’t working, what fires you up, where you want to be when you are 80. These are all questions to uncover the goals that will get you excited to move forward on.
Of course you don’t need Powersheets to set goals and see progress. However, it wasn’t until I started using them that I started to really see progress because I had a way to track it.
To keep this post a more appropriate length I’m going to just share the specific area and a scripture. Then throughout the year I will share a post with action steps on how I am tending to each goals. Sound good? Let’s go!
My goals to delight in 2018:
- To DELIGHT in obedience to the Lord. “Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight.” Psalm 119:35
- To DELIGHT in prayer and talking with God. “The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination, but the prayer of the upright is His delight.” Proverbs 15:8
- To DELIGHT in Kason and our marriage and friendship. “His mouth is sweetness itself, he is altogether lovely. This is my lover, my friend. O daughters of Jerusalem.” Song of Solomon 5:16
- To DELIGHT in Kerrington and motherhood (even the struggles!) “Children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.” Psalm 127:3 and “Discipline your son, and he will give you peace. He will bring delight to your soul.” Proverbs 29:17
- To DELIGHT in serving and living as close to Jesus did as possible. “Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you should also wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.” John 13:14-15.
- To DELIGHT in working for the Lord through Light Filled Home and our floral design business. “Whatever you do work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. Since you know that you will receive from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord you are serving.” Colossians 3:24.
- To DELIGHT in what Jesus delights in. “The One who sent me is with me, He has not left me alone for I always do what pleases Him.” John 8:29
- to DELIGHT in tithing and being a good steward of our money. “Honor the Lord with your wealth, with your first fruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will over with new wine.” Proverbs 3:9-10
- To DELIGHT in seeking wisdom from God and His Word. “If any of you lacks wisdom, He should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault and it will be given to him.” James 1:5
- To DELIGHT in my body through nourishing foods, self-care, and exercising. “After all, no one ever hated their own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church. — For we are members of His body.” Ephesians 5:29-30
Another fun activity (if you’re a visual person like me!) is to create a vision board! I used pinterest and some personal images to create a visual picture into what a year of delight will prayerfully look like! We have a ton of images on our Pinterest boards you could snag and create your own vision board!
Do you pick out a word for the year to focus on? If so, I’d love to know what yours is for 2018! Let’s encourage each other!
Would you like a chance to win an undated 6 month set of Powersheets?! Just comment with a goal you have set for 2018. I will draw at random Thursday December 21 at 5pm!
RELATED: Becoming a PowerSheets Couple
RELATED: Intentional Goal Planning
Disclaimer: While all the PowerSheets links are affiliate links, I do personally use them. I have truly seen progress happen which is the only reason I love to share them with you!